If your child is being bullied
- Focus on your child: Be supportive and gather information
- Never tell your child to ignore bullying. They may think you don't care.
- Contact his or her teacher, counselor or principal immediately. Sample letter parents can use to report bullying (phone call, email, etc.)
- Help your child become more resilient. Talk about them being friends with people they can count on.
- Focus on the facts. School professionals want all children to feel safe. They can better hear what you have to say when you stick to the facts.
You can expect
- That the incident will be investigated
- You will hear back from the principal or teacher
- The school personnel will apply consequences for negative behaviors
- If your child continues to feel bullied, the school administrator wants to hear from you again